John is a Broward County native and has practiced law in Broward since 1995. Prior to opening his own firm in 2013, he was Managing Partner at Butler & Primeau LLP from 2000-2013 and an associate with the law firm of Ellis, Spencer & Butler from 1995-2000.
Over the years, he has represented a wide range of clients in several different practice areas.
- Real Estate Transactions – His real estate clients have included everything from young couples buying their first home to sophisticated developers creating mixed-used development and luxury homes and multi-family units. He has also represented borrowers and lenders on commercial loan transactions and owners of shopping centers in multi-million dollar refinances involving complicated defeasance issues.
- Leasing – His leasing background ranges from simple residential leases to complex commercial leases.
- Litigation – His wide range of litigation experience includes commercial and residential collections and foreclosures for several lenders, contract and other commercial litigation, contested commercial foreclosure and receiverships, and commercial litigation in the court’s complex litigation division.
- Probate Administration – His probate administration experience ranges from summary administrations to representing the fiduciary in a complex probate administration spanning more than a decade and involving more than twenty ancillary eminent domain and commercial litigation cases.
John is admitted to practice in all state courts in the State of Florida and in the U.S. District Court and Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida. His practice is currently focused primarily on real estate transactions [mostly commercial and high-end residential real estate purchases, sales, and leases]; representation of real estate developers in acquisition, finance, and development issues; representation of lenders and borrowers in commercial and residential financing transactions; examination of title and issuance of title insurance; real estate litigation [foreclosures, workouts, and title issues]; preparation of wills, trusts, and other estate planning documents; probate administration; and business formations and transactions.
He is an agent for Old Republic National Title Insurance Company (Attorneys Title Insurance Fund, Inc.) and is an approved attorney for several other national title insurance underwriters. He is also a licensed Florida Real Estate Sales Associate and a member of the Miami Association of REALTORS®.
- Florida Bar, Member
- Business Law Section, Member
- Real Property and Probate Law Section, Member
- Broward County Bar Association, Member
- Director (2004-2008)
- Chair/Co-Chair, Real Property Section (2006-2010, 2012-2015)
- South Broward Bar Association, Member
- President (2011-2012)
- Director (2008-2011)
- Weston Bar Association, Member
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Attorneys Real Estate Council (AREC), Member
- Broward Attorneys Real Estate Council (BAREC), Member and Director / Treasurer (2017-)
- Moderator – Foreclosure Panel Discussion at Broward County Bar’s Bench & Bar Conference
- Seminar Presenter – “Foreclosures & Bankruptcy” for NBI
- Seminar Presenter – “The Role of ‘Ad Litems’ in Foreclosures” for Broward County Bar Association
Awards and Recognition
- Board Certified Real Estate Lawyer, Florida Bar (2001-present)
- AV® Preeminent – Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Lynn Futch Professionalism Award, Broward County Bar Association (2016)
- Florida Trend Magazine’s Florida Legal Elite (multiple years)
- Super Lawyers® (multiple years)